Monday, March 29, 2010

What on Earth is a CSA?

What is a CSA?
I realized I just mentioned 'CSA' in my last post, and didn't explain it. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It is really a Farmer - Consumer Direct Relationship.

A couple of years ago, I went to a free lecture at the library to learn more about Organic Farming in Michigan. That is where I met Michelle, a wonderful woman and owner of Maple Creek Farm. I took a ton of notes while Michelle talked. She was talking about things I hadn't heard of until then, "genetically modified corn"( Bad stuff) and the benefits of organic produce (Good stuff). She introduce the idea of buying locally, which sounded great, and explained what a CSA is and does. Shortly after that, I became a member of a CSA. I did some research and liked what I learned about Maple Creek Farm. So I joined, and they are awesome! They are a family owned farm who grow certified organic produce. By signing up to be a member of a CSA, you will get weeks worth of locally grown produce, delivered near your home! Maple Creek Farm offers 2 different sizes of CSA's, a whole share, or a half share - it all depends on how much produce you want! They deliver 20 weeks of produce! And they deliver all over! Personally, until I joined, I had never purchased Chard, Dinosaur Kale, Patty pan squash, and more! I have always loved vegetables, but just kept sticking with my same old favorites! This CSA was not only fun, but I discovered a ton more delicious veggies and the flavors of truly fresh produce blew my socks off!

Visit their blog and learn more about Maple Creek Farm. They also participate in many local farmers markets. The one I visit is the Royal Oak Farm Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment